The Master of Public Health degree requires 45 academic credits (15 courses, including capstone ). The program is designed to be completed in two years with full-time study, or four to five years with part-time study.
An MPH degree can also be completed with the 4 + 1 option, for undergraduate students at TCNJ. TCNJ students working toward a BS or BA degree in a relevant discipline take 5 graduate courses toward MPH requirements during their Junior and Senior years. Earning an MPH with this option usually takes one additional year beyond the undergraduate degree.
Customize your studies with different course tracks and flexible options
The MPH degree program lets you follow your interests and passions to forge your own education path—and go at your own pace.
5 Core Courses + The Graduate Capstone Internship (120 Hours) and Integrative Paper = 7 Courses
- PBHG 504 Environmental and Occupational Health
- PBHG 521 Health Systems and Policy
- PBHG 540 Intermediate Epidemiology
- PBHG 652 Biostatistics for Public Health
- PBHG 685 Health Promotion for Individuals, Families, and Communities
- PBHG 705 Graduate Capstone Internship
- PBHG 706 Graduate Capstone Integrative Paper
5 Courses from the list for each track
Epidemiology and Health Analytics
- PBHG 501 Research Methods for Public Health
- PBHG 602 Health Analytics: Identifying, Collecting, and Analyzing Big Data
- PBHG 620 Health Economics
Choose 2 of the following:
- PBHG 503 Health Informatics
- PBHG 566 Epidemiology of Dental Public Health
- PBHG 577 Epidemiology and Intervention in Violence and Injury
- PBHG 667 Public Health Genomics
- PBHG 689 Epidemiology and Aging
Or HEALTH COMMUNICATION
- PBHG 603 Health and Risk Communication Campaigns: A Social Marketing Approach
- PBHG 615 International Communication
- PBHG 650 Health Education
- PBHG 660 Global Health, Communication, and Social Change
Choose 1 of the following:
- PBHG 542 Lifespan Communication
- PBHG 545 New Media Innovations in Health Communication
- PBHG 677 Disclosure, Stigma, Privacy, and Health
3 Elective Courses
Students can choose from the list below or any track classes that are a) not part of the student’s
chosen track or b) track classes above the 5 required.
- PBHG 591 Graduate Independent Study
- PBHG 606 Grant Writing in Public Health
- PBHG 670 Topics in Public Health
Two concentrations to choose from
The Epidemiology and Health Analytics track—Focusing on translational research to create a healthier society and fostering the integration of population health research in fields such as engineering, healthcare systems, and business.
The Health Communication track—Exploring innovative ways to motivate healthy behavior and reduce health risk via institutions and agencies throughout the nation.
Please see the page 56-59 for details
Field experience for real-world exposure
The graduate-level capstone course requires an internship of at least 120 hours and a Capstone paper that launches students into meaningful careers or positions them for further studies. TCNJ Public Health currently has more than 40 partners that provide rich professional opportunities to our students.